Tuesday 26 July 2022

Dungeondraft

This blog entry is a return to actually commenting on World Building in gaming. Something I originally planned to be the focal point of the site. But running a few campaigns at the same time takes up a lot of my free time. This week I go over two software packages that will really help a DM with preparation time.

Wonderdraft

I purchased the Wonderdraft software about a month ago. I found it a little hard to get used to at first but I was soon using it fairly well. Below is the Area Map from module L1: The Secret of Bone Hill. Making maps in Wonderdraft does not take a lot of time and the ability to overlay the map over an image makes it fairly easy to replicate maps. It is even easier to make a map from scratch. I have used it a few times and was generally pleased with the results.


Lendore Island Map

Dungeondraft

I was aware of Dungeondraft having purchased Wonderdraft from the same company but I had no real inclination to buy it because I could create just about any map of any type in Blender. But I decided to buy it and try it out. I was immediately impressed with the results.

The objects and textures that come with the purchase have a slightly cartoon-like style but I think it works with maps. Below is an example of a more realistic map with proper lighting made in Blender, and the same map in Dungeondraft. This is the map for the Creature of Rhyl adventure from Dragon Magazine 55 (1981). When I ran the adventure I decided to use the Dungeondraft map.

I have since purchased some more objects for Dungeondraft. Some do not fit the same style as the ones that come with the software. Mixing and matching these does not work very well. They look jarring. So you really should pick one asset type to use per map. I have gone on a map-making binge since getting Dungeondraft creating about 30 maps in 3 weeks. It does not take very much time at all. A simple forest battlemap can be accomplished in 10 minutes. More complex maps take more time but even complex buildings really do not take a lot of time. I am saving a lot of map-making time.

My first maps were fairly primitive, but I soon began to learn ways to add depth and lighting to the maps to make them look better. The maps also give you the option of printing in simple black and white for publishing and full colour. I usually print them using the Roll20 option so that they line up perfectly with the grid overlay in Roll20.

I cannot recommend this software enough. In fact, I have already let a few other friends who DM know about it.

Creature of Rhyl created with Blender





Creature of Rhyl created with Dungeondraft



Roadside Tavern created in Dungeondraft

No comments:

Post a Comment